Jilin Panorama

¿Remember that movie ¨Wayne´s World¨? Back in the day, a friend of mine made up a song, using the music from Wayne´s world and substitued Wayne for Huang. I think it went like: ¨Huang´s world, Huang´s world, Chinese food...¨ Anyhoo, the following is on my adventures in life.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Childhood pastimes

Winter is becoming a distant memory as the days have become super nice and warm. More and more people are outside, recalibrating their eyes to the sun and, as my students would say, playing outside.

Recently, I've rediscovered 2 activities from my childhood in Century Square, a ginormous square, near the Song Hua River, that has a huge structure called "the boat", a small zoo, a large TV that plays Enya all day long, and throngs of people renting roller skates and flying kites, some are doing both at the same time.

Jenny and Kevin in front of the Boat in Century SquareI think I can count the number of times I've gone roller skating on one hand, but nevertheless it was tons of fun and I didn't fall once! The following day, I went kite-flying with my friend, Ethan, and his girlfriend Linda. I was skeptical of kite flying at first, but I ended up liking the challenge of getting the kite high in the air and maintaining it high above. Its harder than it looks!

Kevin and me keeping balanced
I told my friend Katrin about my recent adventures and she said, "that should be a requirement...to spend an hour a week doing something that you used to do only as a child! minimally"

Octopus kite...
So buck up campers and get on out there!
Look how much this little tyke is having!

1 comment:

Matthew Fitzgerald said...

Ah yes, you're "friend" Ethan.