Jilin Panorama

¿Remember that movie ¨Wayne´s World¨? Back in the day, a friend of mine made up a song, using the music from Wayne´s world and substitued Wayne for Huang. I think it went like: ¨Huang´s world, Huang´s world, Chinese food...¨ Anyhoo, the following is on my adventures in life.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bone Marrow Stew

In my medical English class today, I learned an interesting tidbit of information about one's diet during an illness. One of the dialogs focused on a fracture and the patient asked, "Is it okay, if I have some soup with bone marrow, so that I can heal faster?" The doctor's response is, "Yes, it might speed up your recovery." I made a side comment to the class that this is probably not true.

However, my students informed me that when a patient has a health issue, be it liver dysfunction or heart problems, it is widely believed that eating the analogous part of an animal aids in the healing process. Thus, when you break a bone, you should eat bone marrow as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.

I think many American are finicky eaters and would never fathom eating the liver or heart of an animal. Also, I'm not sure how many would even believe that this type of diet would help cure their illness, as we live in a culture of pills and prescriptions.

1 comment:

jehiah said...

you should read this good review of Weston Price's book on Nutrition and Physical Degeneration where he investigates and uncovers that this is essentially true.