Jilin Panorama

¿Remember that movie ¨Wayne´s World¨? Back in the day, a friend of mine made up a song, using the music from Wayne´s world and substitued Wayne for Huang. I think it went like: ¨Huang´s world, Huang´s world, Chinese food...¨ Anyhoo, the following is on my adventures in life.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Dragon Pool Mountain (Long tan shan)

On Saturday, I went on my first hiking adventure with the guys, Joo, Jenny, Michelle, and her two dogs: Peng You (Friend) and Xin-xin. I was excited to get out of the city and get some fresh air. I soon discovered that the trail was a hybrid of nature, religious experience and amusement park. The hike first passed some Buddhist temples and then made its way into a mini-theme park. They had everything from "riding the bull" to archery. Matt picked up the bow and arrow and shot as if he had years of experience hunting buffalo on the range. He got a bulls eye on his second try!

The trail passed by a reflecting pool, which legend says that a White-tailed dragon flew out of and thus the mountain is named Dragon Pool.


(L-R: Joo, Jenny, Matt, I'm holding Xin-Xin, Michelle, Peng You, and Kevin)

Joo mentioned, after seeing a sunflower on the roof of a temple, that in Korea, giving a sunflower to your significant other means that "you only have eyes for them."



Last night, I was by the Song Hua River and the trees are decorated with Icicle Lights, awaiting for the real thing in a few months. Anyhoo, its not super clear, but at least you can hear me narrating!



On Sunday, I asked Jenny if I could sit in on her English Class for her 5/6 year olds. There were 7 students and quite adorable. I thought it was interesting that when she was teaching the youngsters how to write A, B, and so on, she was doing it based on how many strokes are in each letter. This totally makes sense as Chinese Characters revolves around strokes.

Well, Tuesday, is the Moon Festival, so you better run out and get some Moon Cakes for the Full Moon!

No comments: