Jilin Panorama

¿Remember that movie ¨Wayne´s World¨? Back in the day, a friend of mine made up a song, using the music from Wayne´s world and substitued Wayne for Huang. I think it went like: ¨Huang´s world, Huang´s world, Chinese food...¨ Anyhoo, the following is on my adventures in life.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

D'oh, not yellow scarf

So I have been going around China telling people the wrong Chinese name. When I first got here, I was unsure how to say my name in Chinese, but I remembered how to write it. I wrote it and the 3rd character caused some confusion, so they said maybe that's the traditional character and you should just use jin "金."

Now, I just found out that its actually the first 1/2 of the character which is supposed to be quan "銓" So my Chinese name is 黃思銓. When it was 黃思金, my students laughed because it sounds like "yellow scarf."

Anyhoo, 銓 is my great-grandfather's name, so my name means "thinking of quan", thinking of my great-grandfather. I am glad that this is the correct name because the meaning of 金 is gold so I thought that my name meant: "thinking of gold" and that is totally not me, I'm not thinking of being rich all the time. I'd rather be thinking about my family and heritage.

No comments: