Jilin Panorama

¿Remember that movie ¨Wayne´s World¨? Back in the day, a friend of mine made up a song, using the music from Wayne´s world and substitued Wayne for Huang. I think it went like: ¨Huang´s world, Huang´s world, Chinese food...¨ Anyhoo, the following is on my adventures in life.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Maryknoll House

My uncle and aunt dropped me off at the Maryknoll House located in an area called Stanley which is on Hong Kong Island. My room shares a balcony with 2 other rooms and I am still reeling in shock over this view from my quarters:

I am here for a week of orientation to how to teach conversational English and introduction to history and culture, and meet the other 2o or so volunteers placed throughout the country. I think there's a good mix of recent graduates and people who have done other things since graduating, but I have not met everyone yet. Its kind of strange to be in this type of setting once again: feeling awkward and trying to make conversation in a big group of ten. Also, I have a roommate for a week! I haven't had to share a room since 2000, albeit that was a great experience.

On another note, besides spectacular views of the ocean from my room, we are located right next to a prison (the sign is in the far right, in the background):

By the way, Maryknoll is the program that has organized this upcoming year and conducted all the interviews and placements.

*Addendum: Oops, I had forgotten that I did in fact have one more roommate post-the turn of the century. I apologize immensely for this horrid mistake and it shall never happen again.

1 comment:

mbuletti said...

To my recollection, James Huang and Matthew Buletti shared a room in the 01-02 school season. James might have been in absentia 73% of the time but live together we did. The truth comes out!