Jilin Panorama

¿Remember that movie ¨Wayne´s World¨? Back in the day, a friend of mine made up a song, using the music from Wayne´s world and substitued Wayne for Huang. I think it went like: ¨Huang´s world, Huang´s world, Chinese food...¨ Anyhoo, the following is on my adventures in life.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thai National Anthem

This morning, I decided that I would go for a run at Lumpini Park which is a few blocks away from where my aunt and uncle live. The circuit is about 2.5 kilometers and I was about half way around, listening to my "sweat music" playlist on my Ipod Mini, when I heard some whistles and everyone around me halted. I assumed that the people near me were part of some running group that would run for a few minutes, stop for a minute and then continue. However, as I kept running, I noticed that everyone in the park was standing still looking off in the same direction.

I was unsure of what to do, but I definitely felt out of place as I was the only one still moving, weaving in and out of stationary runners/walkers, so I stopped and removed my earphones. I heard some instrumental music in the distance and noticed that it was emanating from where everyone was staring. As soon as it was over, everyone continued on with what they had been doing.
I came home and recounted to my aunt and cousin about what had happened. They proceeded to tell me that twice a day, at 8am and 6pm, they play the national anthem all over and that I should stop and pay respect or else the police would come and ticket me! Thank goodness I ceased running because there were police officers stationed throughout the park.

So this link (http://www.learningthai.com/songs/anthem.html) is to the lyrics of the Thai National Anthem, just in case you are here and need to sing along. I am going to commit this to memory so that when I'm running or in public I can show my pride for Thailand!

No comments: