Jilin Panorama

¿Remember that movie ¨Wayne´s World¨? Back in the day, a friend of mine made up a song, using the music from Wayne´s world and substitued Wayne for Huang. I think it went like: ¨Huang´s world, Huang´s world, Chinese food...¨ Anyhoo, the following is on my adventures in life.

Friday, February 1, 2008

I've had some downtime over the past week and took advantage of being in bigger citities, i.e. have English movie theaters, so I've checked out 2 movies that are probably out of the theaters in the States. The first film I saw was "The Kite Runner" based on the novel by Khaled Hosseini. While I normally think that the book is always better than the film production, this movie was better than most movie-book adaptations. While the story feels a bit rushed, the overarching themes of friendship, family, loyalty, culture and love are conveyed well. I highly recommend the book if you haven't had a chance to read it yet.

The other film I saw was Sweeny Todd. I'm a sucker for musicals and while this one drasticly different from any musical I've seen, its quite good. In Tim Burton fashion, its a very dark movie, with lots of singing that makes it kind of light-hearted. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter do a superb job. It is quite gory, but in the sense that its over the top, blood gushing out, making it seem kind of fake. So two movies to check out if they're still out in theaters.

Anyhoo, I've arrived in Cambodia and waiting at the airport for my friend, Carolyn to fly in. My lodgings are great compared to Singapore, I actually have a blanket and a towel provided! Also, its nice to have a single room, since I was sharing with 7 other people in Little India. I never got enough sleep with people coming in and out. I haven't had a chance yet to check out Phnenom Phen, as I got in kind of late last night. But will update y'all soon!

1 comment:

Matthew Fitzgerald said...

The Kite Runner was the first book in Villanova's "One Book" (or something similar) campaign, the first year was the year I graduated, but the school basically gave every student a free copy of the book, and the author came to talk about it as part of the Literary Festival. I never finished the book myself, but I gotta say what I did read left me ... hmm ... mildly unimpressed. But I'm glad you enjoyed it! Update your blog more, dammit, I want to know what you thought of Cambodia.